Monday, October 14, 2013

Poor Man's Pad Thai

Hubby and I are on vacation at the beach this week to celebrate our 5th anniversary.

I love North Carolina.  I really feel that they are one of the few states that are really passionate about food they are known for, like BBQ.

Being born and bred in Eastern North Carolina, I grew up on Ralph's BBQ off of I-95.  It still might be one of the holy grails of N.C. BBQ for me...but I did happen to find a close second:  Smithfield's Chicken 'n' BBQ.  There is nothing like having that bite of pepper and vinegar assault your palate and make your tongue do the happy dance!

Every now and then, if you are really lucky, you can catch bags of freshly fried pork skins at the register of either one of these places.  In fact, it's been such a rare sighting for me when I walk in that it's almost like seeing Big Foot when I do.

I had a Big Foot sighting yesterday at Smithfield's.  I tried to remain calm, so as not to create a stampede.  In fact, I waited until hubby and I finished ordering until I nonchalantly added, "And one of these," indicating one of the two bags left to the guy taking our order, trying not to break it down into a touchdown dance.  Man, I was smooth. James Bond has nothing on me.

My parents love Smithfield's, so being a good daughter, of course I sort of took a picture and rubbed their noses in it a little bit.  (don't worry, karma being the bitch that it is, got me good later that night but that's a story for later this week...trust me you'll love this one.)  The conversation with my dad absolutely makes me crack up. Pork fat rules.  LOL!

Have you ever eaten Pad Thai?  It's really delicious!  There are a few places in Northern Virginia that make a really delicious version, and one of them was featured on the Food Network during an episode of "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" a few years ago.  I have tried to make it exactly twice, and have gotten pretty decent results both times.  Neither one has been the classic version, but the most recent one is really easy, not expensive, and pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

The best part?  This version utilizes a staple that might bring back fond memories of being a broke college student: ramen noodles!

Okay so here are the tools of the trade:
  • One package of ramen noodles
  • one egg
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (not pictured)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • red pepper flakes or Siracha, optional
It's really important to have all of your ingredients measured and ready to use, because this recipe moves fast.  

You know that flavoring packet that comes with the noodles?  Take it out, you won't need it.  Keep it for later...I am sure I can come up with something to use it in.  So if you remember my post about saving money, this will make sense:  use two packets of soy.  I used three and it was a bit too much. Stir your soy sauce and lime juice into your brown sugar for a bit until it dissolves.

I also find that while green onions aren't very expensive, I never use them all before they get all slimy and nasty.  So I chop them all, and I put them in a container and throw them into the freezer.  That way I can grab them and throw them into dishes as needed.  
Can you use regular oil instead of sesame?  Absolutely.  I just like the added flavor of it.

Start by throwing your noodles into some water. Let them cook for maybe 4 minutes, enough for them to break apart and get a little soft.  Drain them and set them aside until later.  

While you wait for the noodles to cook, crack the egg into a small bowl or cup, take a fork and beat it. Spray your pan with some nonstick spray and toss in the garlic and green onions.  Saute them over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, then add in your egg. Scramble it gently until it's just about done, and then set it aside.

Using the same pan, add your sesame oil, the cooked noodles and the soy sauce/lime juice/brown sugar mixture.  Toss those around in the sauce and let it cook over low medium for a few minutes until the majority of the sauce is combined into the noodles.  

Here is where you can also throw in some cooked chicken, beef, or even some small salad shrimp.  I left mine as is, but that's because I didn't really have anything to add...but that salad shrimp sounds better and better all of the time.  I suppose you could use tofu as well, but I have not made many recipes where I have been very successful with it.

Oh, and if you want a bit of a bite, you can toss some red pepper flakes in there as well.  Maybe even some Siracha if you like that.

Now take that egg you previously cooked and add it, using a spatula to break it up.  Stir it well and let it all get combined.  Make sure all the sauce has been absorbed and cooked into the noodles.  If it starts to look a bit dry, add a touch more soy, but you don't want the noodles dripping.  Just well seasoned and delicious.

Grab a plate or a bowl and that's it!  
Unless you have some peanuts laying around, because then totally grab a tablespoon and chop them for the top.  It pulls it all together, trust me.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great, Krista! Monique and I order Pad Thai from the Chinese place, so we're gonna have to try this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Maybe Monique needs to do a guest post on her pesto ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know you were here :-)