Monday, February 16, 2015

Slow Cooker Shredded Honey Soy Chicken

I have seen some people say that during the Winter months, their crock pot is their best friend.

Screw that noise.
My crock pot is my BFF every single day of the year.

I could say that I love it because in the Summer, it keeps the temperature of the kitchen down because I don't have to cook with the oven. I could say in the Fall and Winter, it's perfect for chili and soup which seems to be everyone's (including mine) quintessential go-to meals for cold weather.

The fact is, I love my crock pot because I love to be a lazy cook when I can.

So if I get something that I can just toss in there and leave it for hours? Deal me in. Extra bonus: the hubby comes home to a house that smells amazing, and he can't wait to dig in equals wifey brownie points. I'll never turn those down.  Plus? I recently found a really cool mine in Minecraft that I want to go play in.

(Disclaimer:  this is not my recipe. I have no idea where it came from, I just found it written in my recipe book. If it is yours, please shoot me a message so I can give you the amazing credit that you so richly deserve for this recipe, because it's delicious.)

Another reason I want to put this recipe on here is because it really IS something that FFTSD likes -   EASY! You literally mix up the sauce, pour it over the chicken, turn on the crock pot and leave it until it's done. You can't ask for anything easier than that.

Unless you order takeout.
Because that's totally easier than this.
Not cheaper, however, and that's another thing we here at FFTSD can get behind: saving money! Like for this recipe? I revisited the inexpensive route for the soy sauce. Also? I find that when I open a can of tomato paste, I am not likely to use all of it. So I portion it out in tablespoons, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, throw those in a ziploc and freeze them. When it comes time to use it, I just grab some out of the freezer.


Slow Cooker Shredded Honey Soy Chicken

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)

Mix all ingredients except chicken and stir until well combined.  Place chicken in crock pot, and cover with sauce. Cook on low until done, about 4-5 hours. Remove chicken from pot and make a slurry from 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water. Add to sauce and cook just until thickened. Shred chicken and return to crock pot, coating it evenly with sauce. Serve over rice or noodles, and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over top if desired.


Look at that. It looks good, but smells even better. See that arm in the background? That's a man who wants me to stop taking pictures of his dinner and let him eat it.


P.S.  Yes, mom. There were vegetables served as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know you were here :-)