Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Five Ingredient Tuna Noodle Salad

My mother made this tuna noodle salad occasionally for me growing up, and I will admit...my abhorrence to green peas made me really not want to like this. (please don't judge me, I just never really developed a taste for green peas as well as a plethora of other vegetables, but that is a totally different post) That said, I really DO like it...and I make it quite often for the hubby and myself to this very day.

The best parts are that not only is it completely delicious, but it is also very inexpensive and really easy to make. Seriously. If you can boil water and chop an onion, then you can make this. It also makes a lot, so you are set for lunch (or dinner) for a few days. Unless you have a huge appetite that is...then you might want to double it.  ;-)

So here are the things you will need:


  • 1/2 box of pasta
    (mom used elbows, but I really like the mini penne)
  • one can tuna
  • one small can of green peas, drained
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup Duke's mayonnaise


You can use any mayo you like, but I am from the South, so Duke's is the only kind that ever makes it into my house. Because it's the best. I'm a self-admitted mayo snob. That said, you have no idea how hard it was for me to compromise on getting the Duke's Light version of it. I felt like a traitor to my heritage. I am still worried that my mom will have strong words for me if she ever sees this post.

So go ahead and get a pot of salted water on the stove to boil the pasta. I'll wait.
Once you have that to a boil, add your pasta and give it a stir. Cook according to package directions.

While the pasta is cooking, chop up a half a small onion. You can choose how finely you want to chop this, but keep in mind you will be eating raw onion, so I suggest chopping it up pretty well or it's a bit overwhelming. Open the green peas and the can of tuna, draining them both really well. This recipe doesn't need any added moisture.

Once the pasta is done, drain it and rinse well with cold water. Drain it again, and then add it to a large bowl. Add the green peas, chopped onions and mayonnaise. I also sprinkle about 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper over this as well because it brings the flavors together much better. 

Don't be afraid to play around with this recipe. Use different pastas. Try red pepper if you want a kick. Throw in some chopped water chestnuts. Use wasabi mayonnaise. 

Uhhh...wait. Holy yummy! Now I am kicking myself for not making a version of this with the wasabi mayonnaise I have in the fridge right now. I can see this will have a take two later in the week!  

Make sure you store this in the fridge immediately, and as with any mayo based dishes, discard any that you have not eaten after two days.

My total cost of making this: $2.54
1/2 box pasta = $0.50
1 can tuna = $1.00
1/2 small onion = $0.45
1 small can peas = $0.59
Mayo = on hand
Pepper = on hand

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know you were here :-)