Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Single Serve Frittata


Not so long ago, a friend of mine confided in me that he had trouble making an omelet. They should be easy, right? Not always. There have been plenty of occasions where I have gone for a nice omelet and ended up with scrambled eggs by way of completely and accidentally butchering my eggs.

The only foolproof method I have found for that is to make a frittata. Which, in reality, is just basically a fancy omelet when you come down to it. The bonus is that it is simple to make and requires no special chef skills of flipping it over.

This morning while surfing on Facebook, a friend of mine mentioned that he was in the mood for a big breakfast. Something about that really struck a chord with me, but it's been a week of little to no sleep and daily migraines for me, so a big, involved breakfast was not really something I was wanting to invest in. I have a small frying pan, about 6-8 inches or so, and immediately thought about making a "personal pan" frittata in it.

So I gathered my ingredients, and set out to work:

  1. one small new potato
  2. two eggs
  3. 1/4 cup cheese
  4. 2 tablespoons milk
  5. 1/3 cup chopped ham
  6. salt and pepper
As proof of being a true Southerner, I keep a small container of bacon grease in the fridge; something that I picked up from my parents. When I was a kid back in the 80's, they used to make popcorn on the stove, and the oil they used was - you got it - bacon grease. 
Best. Popcorn. EVER.
I don't even care how incredibly unhealthy that was...I would eat that popcorn again right now if they made it for me. Man that was some gooooooood stuff. My parents were hip to bacon flavored popcorn before it was even a thing. That is the proof that I officially have the coolest parents ever. Yup, yup.

But I digress.
A little smear of bacon grease into the pan, followed by finely chopped potato. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on them, and saute over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes so the potatoes are cooked through and even a little bacony-crunchy. (Bliss.) 

In a small bowl, crack your two eggs, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, and then add your milk. It helps the eggs to be a little lighter and fluffier. Now take a fork and whip the heck out of that stuff. Once it is nice and combined, pour that into the pan over top of the potatoes. Don't stir. Remember, we aren't scrambling!

Now quickly add the ham and sprinkle the cheese over top. You can push the ham down with a spatula to make sure it's well incorporated into the eggs. Let this sit for a minute or two, or until the edges just start to cook. Once it gets to that point, take the frying pan and pop it into a 350  oven for 10 minutes. You can tell it's cooked when you shake the pan and the center doesn't jiggle like my second grade teacher's flabby biceps.

Remove pan from oven - be careful, don't do like I do sometimes and forget that handle is HOT! - and grab a plate. Your frittata should just slide right of of the pan. Sometimes you may have to wriggle a small spatula beneath it, but it shouldn't be hard to remove at all. I added a sliced Honeycrisp apple and two pieces of toast to my brunch. I am good until dinner!

Do you like to eat breakfast at any other time of day than morning? I sure do. I can eat it for any meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Leave me a comment and let me know you were here :-)